What is Whatsapp?
WhatsApp Messenger, or simply WhatsApp, is a free American program, a centralized cross-platform messaging service, and Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) service owned by Facebook, Inc. This allows users to send text and voice messages, make voice and video calls, and share photos, documents, user websites, and other media.
What is Signal App?
Signal is a messaging app that you can download to Apple (iPhone and iPad), Android, Mac, and Linux devices. An app with the slogan “Welcome Privacy”. It was developed by the Signal Foundation and Signal Messenger LLC. The Signal Foundation was created by WhatsApp co-founder Brian Acton and current Signal Messenger CEO Moxie Marlinspike. Acton left WhatsApp in 2017 and donated $ 50 million to fund Signal.
Key features of Signal app
Like WhatsApp, users can take advantage of features like
- secure messaging, voice, and video calls with end-to-end encryption.
- Users can also create groups without the option to broadcast messages to different contacts simultaneously.
- The app has also recently added a group chat feature.
- Users can add up to 150 members to a Signal group, but not all of them are automatically added to the group.
- If someone has your phone number, then an invitation will be sent to people to join the group, unlike WhatsApp, which allows them to add you directly to the group.
- Signal also provides a masking feature that can be set for each individual conversation for 5 seconds to a week.
Is Signal App better than WhatsApp?
Unlike WhatsApp, Signal gives you the option to write a “Note to Yourself” instead of creating a single group to send your notes to yourself.
Users can also use the “Note to me” feature while chatting with other groups. In addition, Signal allows users to transfer voice calls to an application server and anonymize them from their contacts.
Not only that, Signal collects significantly fewer user data compared to WhatsApp. When WhatsApp collects vast amounts of data such as device IDs, user IDs, phone numbers, email addresses, contacts, advertising data, payment information, Signal only collects the user’s phone number.
Is Signal App fully secure?
Most downloaded app on the Apple App Store. Implement end-to-end encryption using the open-source signaling protocol. Signal’s end-to-end encryption, like WhatsApp, covers all forms of communication. The app takes a step forward, goes one step further, and also encrypts the user’s metadata.
To protect user data, Signal has a ‘sealed sender’ feature that nobody knows who is sending or receiving messages. The app encrypts all files with a 4-digit passphrase, and users can also take a local backup. This app also encrypts conference calls.